Are You Looking To Get Your Student Athlete Started On A Strength Training Program But Are Unsure If It’s The Right Time?
This is a very common question with a two part answer.
On one hand, there is no right age for a kid to learn their way around the weight room so long as they express the interest and are mature enough to follow instructions. Understanding proper form on big lifts, learning about different kinds of equipment, and enjoying going to the gym is a great thing for any youngster.
On the other hand, at what age is it appropriate to begin a Strength Program for Sports Performance?
If you’re considering enrolling your child in one of our Sports Performance programs, keep reading and find out everything you need to know before getting started!
When Should I Sign Up For A Sports Performance Strength Program?
For our Strength and Conditioning Programs geared toward Sports Performance, we believe 11 years old or Middle School age is a good time to get started.
Prior to Middle School we recommend that youngsters participate in as many sports as possible in addition to learning to swim, ride a bike, and paddle a canoe (summer training for elementary schoolers).
What Are The Benefits Of Getting Started Young?
Done properly, strength training can:
- Increase your child’s muscle strength and endurance
- Help protect your child’s muscles and joints from sports-related injuries
- Help improve your child’s performance in nearly any sport, from dancing and figure skating to football and wrestling
- Develop proper techniques that your child can continue to use as he or she grows older
Keep in mind that strength training isn’t only for athletes. Even if your child isn’t interested in sports, strength training can:
- Strengthen your child’s bones
- Help promote healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Help your child maintain a healthy weight
- Improve your child’s confidence and self-esteem
View this post on Instagram
Get Started Today!
All of our new student athletes get started with an introductory program known as the Athletic Quick Start Course.
This course includes an initial orientation lesson followed by 3 Training Sessions.
We’ve found that it’s a great way for new athletes to test drive the program in a suitable environment and see if its something they enjoy!
This program gives us a chance to assess their abilities, level of fitness, and goals for progress.
For more information, click the link above to read more about our Quick Start Course.